Thursday, February 5, 2009

On a slightly more serious note...

Ok, so a few days ago I posted one of those facebook notes in which I had to write 25 random facts about myself. One of them was "when I see a handicapped person, I feel guilt." Yes, I also feel extremely fortunate, but overwhelming guilt is the prominent emotion. This morning as I biked to work, I saw a man biking using only one leg. The other leg (his right) was hanging next to the pedal. I watched as he worked to return the left pedal to the upright position using his left foot, then press down on it, pulling his entire weight. I rode past, feeling knots in my stomach. I think of how many things are simple for me to do: climb stairs, run around, bike. This man struggles to do any of these. I didn't post this to depress anyone, but keep in mind how good you have it, even when work sucks, relationships are problematic, or your alarm clock didn't wake you up on time. Don't be annoyed by the fat on your thighs, be grateful that you have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment